This week was a really impactful special week for me. Like many of you, I spent a lot of time thinking about the Savior and his sacrifice for us. I don't think we really can ever comprehend the pain he felt, and I know it had to be the Son of God who could make it possible for us to Live with him again. I feel so privileged to talk about that everyday. But man is Easter different here, because they don't do anything special for that holiday. So on Easter, after we went to church, we went back to our pench, ate some pasta (it's the only think i know how to cook) then spent the whole day knocking on doors. Unsuccessful, but so fun. I find it so enjoyable and challenging to try to think of the right thing that person needs to hear to listen to our message. most people just say to me after I talk "you're not from here are you?" my Spanish is far from perfect.
Speaking of Spanish, I gotta story. Its another miracle story. So this week we decided to try to do a Spanish fast in order to help my Spanish. So Last Monday, at 6pm, we from then on only spake Spanish. It wasn't too bad, i really liked it and it was good because Kusilek would correct me if i said something wrong so i learned a lot. My brain got pretty tired on Thursday though, it got a lot harder to speak. But i was still holding on strong. The fast was nice because I realized I know a lot more than i thought. But then came Friday. Wow Friday was epic. (sometimes i feel like the mission is an emotional roller coaster--probably why girls only go for a year and a half haha) But for the morning companion study we usually did practices, and for some reason I could not remember how to teach a silly principle I have taught a thousand times. I really struggled with it but Kusilek was really patient and just helped me out step by step. It was a rough morning, I wanted to be done with Spanish. We went out and worked, and after lunch we taught this family who we weren't sure was progressing so we just wanted to ask them how they were doing. We go in the lesson, and Hermana Kusilek asks about any doubts they have. Then the mom starts talking, and i didn't understand 1 word she said. She could've spoken German and I would've understood just as much. I was trying so hard to pick up something because I knew what she was saying was important, but I really couldn't find one thing to say. After she is done talking, Kusilek says "We understand completely", then turns to me and whispers in English "say something". I looked at her with huge eyes "like what?!?" then she said "i dunno, bear your testimony" I just sat there though, my mind completely blank. Like I could think of nothing so say. I probably looked so dumb. Then the mom said something else and Kusilek just talked to her, and we closed the lesson and walked away. I knew as we were walking away Kusilek was probably really frustrated with me because I didn't say one word in the lesson (a good reason to be frustrated) but I was so mad as well because I didn't understand anything and I kept thinking "how am i supposed to say anything good when i don't even know what the heck was going on". We walked for a while not saying anything, until she finally asked me in Spanish "what were you thinking as she was talking" then i tried to respond in Spanish, but i couldn't get the sentence out right, and i lost it. I just started bawling, right there, as we are walking on this street. We were in front of a Catholic church too and tons of people were in front of it because it was El Día Santa, so they probably thought "who is that crazy American girl and why is she crying so hard?" but I felt like i was at the end and I literally couldn't do it anymore. We just kept walking, I just wanted to be done, I don't remember all my thoughts at that moment but I defiantly probably drove the spirit away because I was just angry. We then walked all the way to the end of our area to this lady's house who we have been teaching a tiny bit (the talker). We knocked, she let us in, and we sat down and waited for her for a minute. I just prayed in my mind "please, let Spanish not be a barrier for me this lesson. I need your help and Ive been working hard, I just need something to work out today". She came back, and we started teaching. We came to the part in the lesson where it was the same principle I had taught that morning and couldn't do. I struggled really bad during the lesson, but I made it through. After I shared it, she told us this story. She said how the night before, she was thinking about Joseph Smith and how he prayed to God when he had a question. She said that she had this question her whole life and just always really struggled with it, and at that moment felt like she needed to pray about it. After she prayed, she felt impressed to read her Book of Mormon. She said "I know you told me to read this one certain chapter, but i just felt like flipping open this book to any random page. I did, and right there I found my answer" she bore her testimony how she knows its true and knows this church is true. I was SOO happy. I literally could not have heard anything better in my whole life! (and i understood it all too!!!") I left that lesson on a new high. I feel so privileged to witness that miracle. She is getting baptized this Saturday, and we met her a week ago. Her testimony is just so beautiful and I can see the change the gospel has made in her life.
Sorry that was probably the longest and most boring story in my life, but i felt like it was important to mention that even though I had the most wonderful miracle lesson ever, it wasn't an easy day for me. And I feel so blessed to have such a patient and hard working companion. She is done with her mission in 3 weeks, but she isn't even acting like she is going home soon. The president called us this morning and thanked us for our hard work because everyone else who is going home this transfer is really struggling to work. We are teaching so many wonderful people and find tons of new people everyday, I just love the work here.
Its been getting a little chillier here, which feels wonderful. Man I'm never going to forget those sweaty days, those were crazy. We had a crazy rain storm here, when it rains here, it pours. Its actually really sad, a lot of homes in more ghetto areas get pretty destroyed when it rains, i can see why cities get damaged so bad in natural disasters now because they are just not built as safe as buildings are in America (or what I've seen in America). Another thing people do when it rains is make Tortas fritas. Basically its deep fried bread-ish. People are SOOO traditional about their food. Every 29th of a month, you eat Ñaoquis. WHen it rains, you eat tortas fritas and malta. and every other moment you drink maté. I turned down someone for some tortas fritas (they just really don't taste that good) and they thought something was wrong with me. I just now tell most people I´m sick because they really don't understand when I say I don't feel like eating them right then. I asked for water instead of juice and the lady thought i was really sick and went and bought sprite for me instead. Its just funny.
Well i feel like I've blabbed enough. I love it here, its crazy everyday, i missed home a lot, struggled this week, but was so blessed in return. The mission is the hardest thing I've ever done but I can see myself changing everyday and developing more into the person I want to be. The Savior Lives. He loves us. And I couldn't be more grateful.
Chau chau
hermana Collins
No comments:
Post a Comment